The EMDR approach has the potential to be the means to powerful healing for your clients. It is important that you use it as soon as practically possible to facilitate mastery. Let’s look at how to go about that.
- Begin with existing clients with whom you have an excellent therapeutic relationship
- Use AIP as your lens for conceptualizing the case beginning with the initial contact
- Listen for the client’s negative and positive cognitions as you explore initial history
- Get comfortable presenting the concept of EMDR and using it in the client’s therapy
- Use the “positive” experiences of Container and Happy Place (or any other resources that are appropriate) to introduce the client to the effects of bilateral stimulation
- Once state-change resources are in place, it is safe to obtain more in-depth history
- Collaboratively create treatment plan, including the targets and order of processing