The undersigned participant acknowledges that s/he has thoroughly and carefully read, understands, and agrees to the following:
1. EMDR is widely recognized as an empirically supported treatment for PTSD and Acute Stress Disorder. Its safety and efficacy for other clinical applications have yet to be adequately evaluated by controlled research. The cautions described in the published literature and in the training are based primarily on anecdotal reports by trained clinicians.
2. All participants must meet EMDRIA clinician requirements. Participant must be licensed to independently practice psychotherapy in a discipline recognized by EMDRIA. An exception will be made if: a) the participant is not licensed, but is enrolled in an accredited graduate program in a mental health or related discipline recognized by EMDRIA and is in an internship; or b) has completed masters level coursework and is currently in a licensing track. In either case, the participant must be supervised by a licensed clinician with the appropriate letter(s) on file in the training office. The letter from the licensed, supervising clinician must indicate that you have clinical privileges to practice psychotherapy under supervision, and should endorse you to participate in EMDR training.
3. A significant component of the training involves clinicians practicing EMDR and related procedures in small groups under the supervision of the instructor or a qualified staff member. These practice experiences are for training purposes only and not for personal therapy, though many trainees report adaptive therapeutic outcomes. All participants should be prepared to address disturbing real life experiences as part of this training program to appreciate the subjective experience of EMDR as a client would, and to provide valid training experiences for other participants. It is not unusual for a target memory to be linked to other, unexpected, disturbing material or memories that might surface during or after the practice sessions. Trauma-related case material presented didactically, in consultation sessions, or on video may be disturbing to those with unresolved personal issues. By submitting your application for training, you are affirming that you have developed appropriate self-soothing and affect/arousal management skills to cope with exposure to this type of material and will be able to use these skills as necessary during and following EMDR training, practice and consultation sessions.
4. Further, with reference to number 3 above:
a. If you are presently engaged in personal therapy and/or psychiatric treatment, you should inform your therapist and/or psychiatrist about all aspects of this training including the experiential component and secure your therapist’s and/or psychiatrist’s support to participate before beginning this training.
b. If you have limiting or special medical conditions (pregnancy, seizure disorder, heart condition, eye problems, etc.), you should consult your medical professional(s) before participating in this training and should discuss your condition(s) with the training director before submitting their application to participate in the training.
c. If you presently have a dissociative disorder, acute or chronic PTSD, GAD, panic disorder, substance use disorder, personality disorder, or affective disorder, you should not participate without special arrangements being made with the training director as part of the application for registration. Failure to advise the training director of such issues in advance could place you at risk, negatively impact other participants, and result in dismissal from the training without refund. Participants who are disruptive to the training will be given one warning by the training director and will be dismissed without refund if there is a recurrence. You are expected to maintain a spirit of cooperation and mutual support for all in the training. Disruptive behavior will not be tolerated. You agree that the training director has the right to dismiss anyone who is disruptive from the training at any time without refund.
5. The reprocessing of targeted incidents during practicum sessions may continue and result in other disturbing memories surfacing during and after the practicum. It is your responsibility to seek, obtain and pay for appropriate professional assistance if needed. Providing such assistance is not part of the training and will not be provided by the training director or staff. We will provide referrals to clinicians who elect to do personal EMDR work. Lists of EMDR trained clinicians are also available through www.EMDRIA.org.
6. This experiential training is intended to prepare clinicians to apply EMDR for clinical purposes only and will not qualify the participant to train others in EMDR. Attempts to train others in EMDR without meeting the standards as defined by the EMDR International Association would represent a violation of professional ethics and standards.
7. In order to assure confidentiality of personal and clinical information, audio/video recording by participants is not allowed. All participants are expected to maintain the highest ethical standards of confidentiality regarding all personal and clinical information shared by others in this training. Failure to maintain confidentiality will be treated as a professional ethics issue, and may result in immediate dismissal from the training program with no refund. Confidentiality applies to all consultation sessions and practicum experiences: specifics may be discussed only with members of the immediate consultation or practice group, the participant’s group consultant, practicum supervisor and trainer(s). In addition, you may share your own emerging material as you choose.
8. Participants agree to read both Shapiro, F. (2018). Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing, Basic Principles, Protocols and Procedures (3rd ed.). New York: The Guilford Press and Shapiro, F. (2012). Getting Past Your Past: Take Control of Your Life with Self-Help Techniques from EMDR Therapy. New York: Rodale. The cost of these study materials is in addition to the course tuition fee.
9. A Certificate of Completion will be issued to all participants who satisfactorily complete the entire training, complete the assigned readings, and demonstrate through group discussion, practice exercises and consultation, an understanding of the EMDR treatment approach.
10. Attendance Policy: Participant must attend all training days and actively participate in all supervised practice exercises and group consultation sessions in order to receive a certificate of completion for this training. Those who attend this workshop in full and complete all the appropriate evaluation forms will receive CE credits. Those arriving more than 15 minutes after the start time or leaving more than 15 minutes before the workshop is completed will not receive CE credits.
11. Technology requirements: Participant must have an updated computer and high-speed internet connection with smart phone with internet access via phone signal in case internet fails.
12. In the event that you need a tuition refund, after your application has been accepted, tuition is refundable upon written request up to 30 days before the first day of training less a $50 administrative fee.
Within 30 days of the training, a refund will only be made if the vacancy can be filled. If the vacancy can be filled, there will be a $150 administrative fee. Should you need to withdrawal prior to the training, the sooner you notify us, the more likely it is that we may be able to fill the vacancy.
After the beginning of the training, due to the small size of the training, no accommodations, refunds, or credits will be made for changes in personal, family or business situations including medical events. We do not fill vacancies that take place after the beginning of the training. If you requested to pay on an installment plan, you will continue to be charged the balance of your agreed upon tuition.
Should you need to withdraw after the start of the training for which you have registered, you may request a transfer to the next training cycle by submitting a request in writing along with the transfer fee of $150. At the next training cycle, you may repeat the portions previously completed, or merely those portions not yet completed. A transfer is not a new registration. Your original tuition is not refundable should you be unable to attend the next training program.